Habitat for Humanity follows a nondiscriminatory policy of family selection. Neither race, sex, color, national origin, religion, handicap, age or marital status is a factor in choosing partner families. Partner families are always selected based on their level of need, ability to pay and willingness to partner.
Applicants are required to meet several qualifications to ensure success. In general, prospective homeowners must:
- Be citizens or legal residents.
- Be a resident of Limestone County for at least one year.
- Prove steady income.
- Have good credit. (To include no bankruptcies or foreclosures within the last 7 years and no debt due to a court decision against you.)
- Earn a yearly income that falls within minimum and maximum limits, depending on household size. Current income levels for 2014 determined by the U.S. Housing and Urban Development (HUD) are:
1 Person $14,650.00 – $24,400.00 5 Person $22,600.00 – $37,650.00
2 Person $16,750.00 – $27,900.00 6 Person $24,250.00 – $40,450.00
3 Person $18,850.00 – $31,400.00 7 Person $25,950.00 – $43,250.00
4 Person $20,900.00 – $34,850.00 8 Person $27,600.00 – $46,050.00
In addition, each partner family will be required to:
- Invest sweat-equity hours in building his/her home and others.
- Pay for upfront costs (ex: closing, first year homeowner’s insurance). Payment plans can be arranged.
- Make timely mortgage payments.
- Attend homeowner education classes.
If you or someone you know is interested in becoming a Habitat partner family, see the application information.